Thursday, November 1, 2018

Old Friends and Secret Gardens


When Jason drove to Nantucket, his truck was piled high. He's spending three seasons here and was taking bits and pieces from home to ward off the loneliness we both knew was inevitable. One of the things he asked for was one of my favorite paintings. I feel often about my work a bit like they're children; slight attachment and all that. I'm much relieved when such pieces sell to friends or people I can tell are kindred souls - I swear sometimes I feel I should use adoption papers! This particular painting spent all summer in the show I did at Space 1010, and then was only home quite briefly before being carefully packed up and tucked into the truck. I'd nearly forgotten what it looked like and then the night we arrived here, there it was.





This one is framed with a small light in the top. Jase leaves it lit all the time here, a beacon to show the way as he is waking hours before dawn every day. I love this painted forest; I swear I've walked down this path in another life as well as in my dreams, I can smell the moss on the stones.











Strange a bit to me, that is seems equally at home here as in our third floor library. Then again, where something is loved...





I have missed painting this week. However, I am well-armed with some stunning pictures of Nantucket and am already sketching for a series. The ocean may be a given, but truly, there is a "Secret Garden feel" to this place with its tall hedges, tangled shrubbery, and bewitching trees. The yard here is circular in shape and ringed with a solid wall of snarled greenery. I spend much time on the balcony in the sun, but were it warmer, we'd be picnicking our evenings away.





 








  

No comments:

Post a Comment