Friday, November 9, 2018

Final Entry


I have a thing about being in the 2%. If everything is fine 98% of the time - well, this is not usually where you'll find me. And so began my trip home...

I was strapped into the 8 seater tiny plane to leave the island and we're gloriously roaring down the runway. The nose of the plane lifts off the ground and then - BAMB! A seagull-meets-propeller-chipper-shredder moment that leaves blood all over the engine and actually flings the leg of the bird so that it smacks into the window four inches from my face. One of my plane-mates had lived there 30 years and had never seen such a thing. I'd watched Hitchcock's The Birds last week...perhaps I'd tipped the scale. We were grounded while they found another plane. 

I missed my connection in Boston and thus got crammed into an extremely full aircraft two hours later next to a rather large nice fellow with a disturbingly reoccurring cough. I arrived in Pittsburgh, starving, only to discover my luggage had somehow failed to follow me. Seriously, two dear friends picked me up at the airport and had a cocktail waiting for me in the car - THAT is friendship. I reunited with my dog who thought I'd died, and somewhere around 11pm a lovely lady from the airline called to ask me for some more details as to the content of my suitcase for identification purposes. I literally said, "There's a soft sea green colored blanket, a long black silk nightgown, and military issue camo pants with chemical warfare grade lining." There was silence on the other end of the line.

My luggage was found and delivered yesterday, everything intact. I made curried shrimp with lentils and cilantro which the boys wolfed like they hadn't eaten in weeks, and it took me two hours at the market to restock the house. Tonight I sit looking through the pictures I took of shells and sunshine while the rain is turning to sleet outside of my window. We'll have snow by morning. Sometimes, things really do seem like a dream. 

I fell in love with Nantucket.







2 comments: